So let me tell you a little about myself. My life started out pretty rough. As far as they tell me (I've blocked it all out), I was bought from a puppy mill and grew up mostly in a cage at an Animal Hoarder's house in Ohio. Thankfully, when I was 18 months old, I was removed from those horrible conditions and fell into the hands of a wonderful foster group called French Bulldog Rescue Network, since I am a French Bulldog after all!
I don't remember much because I was so dirty, depressed and starving, but I was driven up to Jackson, MI, where a rescue worker from Kentwood, MI came and picked me up and brought me to her home. Kirstin was the kindest, sweetest lady and I will forever be grateful to her for her gentle care and especially because she took me to the best veterinarian in the world who eventually became my daddy!
Because I'm deaf, Kirstin started teaching me to learn sign language. She was the first person to show me love and kindness. I was so depressed at first, I just hung my head. I was skin and bones and so hungry and I had no energy. All I remember is just wanting to eat and eat and eat all the time. Here's what I looked like at first:
At my first veterinarian appointment, I met my doctor, but I also met this woman and all of these kids that seemed thrilled to see me. I wasn't sure what was going on and didn't even realize they were my future forever-family! At my appointment, my (future) dad affirmed that I was indeed deaf and that I had one testicle that didn't descend so I had to have major surgery. There was good news, though. I didn't have heartworm disease. It took me a long time to recover from my major surgery, partly because as I was feeling better, I started running around with Kirstin's other dogs and I was also being naughty and licking at my incision behind her back.
But all of that sad stuff is in the past now. So let's get on to the happy part of the story! The beginning of my new life with my new family!


Awh Gilbert, You will forever be in my heart my little snuggle bug!
ReplyDeleteThank you, Kirstin! xxoo
DeleteSounds like Gilbert is well-loved and receiving good care ! !
ReplyDelete